John Anderson, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Cornell University
M.A., SUNY Geneseo
B.S., SUNY Brockport
Institutional Advancement, Fundraising/ friendraising, strategic planning, executive coaching, presidential evaluations, sustainability development
Dr. John M. Anderson’s career in higher education spans more than four decades. Prior to serving as President of Millersville University, he was the President of Alfred State College (SUNY). In addition, Dr. Anderson has an established and recognized career as a professor of physics and academic leader (faculty senate chair, convener of the State University of New York – SUNY – governance leaders), supplemented by more than twenty years in a variety of senior-level administrative posts (President, Executive Vice President, Provost, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President of Institutional Advancement, interim Vice President of Student Services, and Dean of Student Development) at a variety of institutions.
Over his career, Dr. Anderson has been known for his innovative leadership that focuses on sustainability, student leadership, financial stabilization, and student-civic engagement.
- Lancaster General Health – Penn Medicine, Board member 2014 – present, Vice Chairman Academic Affairs Committee
- Lancaster Community STEM Alliance, Advisory Council and Executive Committee founding member 2015 –present
- Lancaster Economic Development Company, Board member 2016 – 2017
- American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), Past Chair of the Economic Development Committee and Founding Chair of the Sustainable Development Committee 2014 – 2017
- AASCU New Presidents Academy faculty member 2015 – present
- Pennsylvania Campus Compact (PACC), Chair 2014-16 and member of the Executive Committee
- American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) signatory and member of the: Adaptation Committee, Corporate Council, and Steering Committee 2009 – 13
- Founding Fellow, Salzburg Sustainable Futures Academy, Salzburg, Austria, February 2012
- Allegany County Industrial Development Agency Recognition, October 2009
- Springbrook Board member Service Recognition 2016
- Pennsylvania Environmental Resource Consortium (PERC) Sustainability Champion Award 2016
- The Dr. John M. Anderson Center for Environmental Sustainability at Millersville University recognition, 2018