James Votruba, Ph.D.
Civic engagement, university-community partnerships, leadership assessment and development, organizational effectiveness and alignment, strategic planning and board development
Prior to his 15-year tenure as president and professor of educational leadership at Northern Kentucky University, Dr. James Votruba served in various faculty and administrative positions at his alma mater, Michigan State University, as well as Binghamton University, Drake University and the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.
Recognized nationally for his work in the area of university public engagement, Dr. Votruba has served as a faculty member for both the American Association of State College and Universities (AASCU) New Presidents’ Academy and the Harvard Institutes for Higher Education.
- Member, Ohio National Mutual Holding Company Board of Directors
- Chair, St. Elizabeth Healthcare Board of Trustees
- Past chair, AASCU Board of Directors
- Past chair, AASCU Task Force on College Readiness and AASCU Task Force on Public Engagement
- Past president, Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities
- Board of Directors, National Campus Compact
- Past member, Association of Governing Boards Council of Presidents
- 2016 Great Living Cincinnatian Award
- Northern Kentucky Business Hall of Fame, Inaugural Member (2014)
- Distinguished Alumnus of the Year (2000), Michigan State University
- AASCU President to Presidents Lecture
- Duvall Leader in Residence, University of Kentucky (2017)
Ph.D., M.A., B.A., Michigan State University